Wednesday, July 23, 2014

And Let's Not Forget Sri Lanka

For a highly anxious person like me, the current events of the world are enough to make me never want to leave my house.  Even in saying that, though, I think to myself, maybe I'd be better off in an institution.  The world is a shitty mess right now, and I can't help but think that the end is near.  I'm wired that way.  Yes, the Prozac helps a little bit, but it can only do so much.  The rest is, as they say, up to me.

So, somehow I have to will myself to find peace and serenity when I can't even find produce at the local grocery store.  No, my Hannafords is not the store that is in the midst of a high profile protest, but it is right across the street from the Market Basket, so EVERYONE and their fucking cousins have crossed the street and completely corrupted my otherwise delightful grocery shopping experience. Yesterday I had to play frogger in the parking lot because people were ready to run pedestrians over to get the one open spot in the lot.  Ordinarily, there's always a front row spot.  I want my grocery store back.

Then I remember that these are my first world problems.  And honestly, the stupid grocery store fiasco is not what haunts me when I think about the chaos of the world.  I don't understand the problem with the Gaza strip.  It seems like a pretty simple solution would be to open the borders and allow the flow of commerce to provide opportunities for a better quality of life for the Palestinians, but what the hell do I know?  There's a video making its way around Facebook, some Dennis Prager dude who "concisely" sums up the Israel-Arab conflict by blaming the Palestinians for wanting the Jews dead.  I had to shut it off half way through because I didn't feel like I was learning anything that would help me understand how the situation has reached the point of air attacks and ground invasions.  I hit stop and thought, "please don't let me be the only one who thinks this is propaganda."

Let's not forget the situation in Sudan, the immigrant children, the shot down Malaysian airline.  It's like every day with this non-stop craziness.  I don't know how these people live through this shit.  I'm way over here in the comfort of my own home, and I'm paranoid as fuck that we are all going to hit the red button and blow each other up any second now, and the one voice I keep hearing in my head is that of Patrick Bateman.
I'm off to the dentist.  It's a great day so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment