Monday, July 7, 2014

I'll drink to Fairfax County!

On my ride back home from Virginia to Massachusetts, I stopped in Worcester, that's Woostahh, to meet a friend for lunch.

"I can't believe you drove down to Virginia with the two girls by yourself," she said.  Yes, ladies, that is where I have been.  Enjoying all the fun-filled, family activities Fairfax County has to offer, from the Reston Zoo to Ticonderoga Farm (I'm obsessed with this place).

Ticonderoga might be my favorite place ever.  It has a giant bouncy pillow, which is fun for adults and kids, fire pits for making smores, a bamboo maze, a mountain of slides, an assortment of lawn games, playgrounds, and hay rides.  We arrived at 10:30 and somehow lost track of time while the kids played and the grown ups relaxed in the shade.  It was 4:00 before we packed up to head home.  A blast.

Burke Lake Park is a new favorite of mine.   A gorgeous 4.5 mile wooded trail circles around a lake where one can swim or paddle boat or just sit and take in the view.   The kids can play on the playground or ride the carousel or the train through the woods.  There's mini golf and picnic areas.  Simply delightful.

We spent so much time riding, rolling, biking, skating, running, and swimming with our cousins/in-laws that we had no time for blogging.  Mommy got her morning runs in, we all enjoyed our afternoon swims, but more importantly, Mommy and Auntie granted each other permission to crack open a bottle of "patience" every afternoon when we needed to cool off from the humidity and/or the 5 little ones.  As I was pouring my 3rd Lime-a-Rita, I started telling a story which began, "I don't really drink that much...", but I stopped myself.

In truth, I don't drink a lot.  My husband and I started a "no drinking during the week" policy as a New Year's Resolution, and he lost a visible amount of weight.  It didn't really change much for me.  Now that the summer is here, though, the wine might as well be Crisco. I am smearing on pounds with every sip.  As my sister said to me the other day, "I feel so much better about life when I'm drinking."  Of course, she was joking, but the summer time is fun, and until school starts again, my greatest stresses are about how I am going to entertain my kids for the day.  That's it.  So, I was able to really unwind and enjoy my vacation--and the few extra pounds that I picked up over the week were worth it.

So, here's a toast to the kick off of my summer.  My sister-in-law and I entertained each other and five children ages 7 and under with little more than a few bug bites--ok a lot of bug bites--going wrong.  We packed and planned and fed and drank and slept and played and chatted way too late into the night, and it was loads of fun.  Now the girlies and I are back home, enjoying beach days with daddy and BBQ parties, fun time with family, and swimming with friends.

It's summer.  We're celebrating living it up until Mommy has to go back to work. Until then, when the noon bell tolls, I will be toasting to good friends, the love of family, and summer cheer!  Stock up on the Moscato, chill the Slumbrew Happy Sols, and keep a bottle of Skinny Girl Margarita on hand.  Let's all unwind a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment